Thursday, November 21, 2013

What jobs am I going to apply for??

Here with less than a month left of nursing school and I'm still not decided on where I want to work. People keep asking... and I still have NO IDEA.

This is not great..

Places I know I do not want to work:
- Geriatrics, nursing homes, rehab hospitals
- Ortho
- NICU
- Anything cardiac
- Really any floor nursing

Places I might like to work:
- Trauma/Neuro ICU
- ER/ED
- Labor and Delivery (in the right hospital)
- PICU (Mybe?? I never got to observe here and now I'm wishing I had)
- High risk OB
- Medical ICU (or other. NOT Cardiac)
- Progressive care unit
- PACU (not likely to happen due to no ICU experience)
- Peds?? (I thought I was over peds.. but then I was thinking about infant/toddler the other day...)

So what jobs am I going to apply for? People keep telling me, apply for everything. Get your experience and then go wherever you want. The problem is I don't know if I can stick it out for 1-2 years in a job I hate! So... I don't know. Maybe we'll see how desperate I get.

I'm actually still really leaning towards ER. I'll get lots of skills practice. Lots of assessment. See lots of different stuff. Less wiping butts/bed baths. People are only there for a couple of hours. It's fast paced, etc. I would love to do ICU but I'm still super scared of how much I have to learn to do it. Plus it may be super hard to find a new grad ICU job.

What jobs did you apply for straight out of nursing school? Where did you end up?

No comments:

Post a Comment