Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Med surg 1 - Ortho

Well my clincials for Med surg 1 are over! We were on the ortho unit at the hospital for four weeks and my general feeling about ortho is that it's not for me.

I guess if you really like learning about ortho procedures and assisting patients with PT it might be fun. Just not my favorite. Most of the patients are simply post-op and therefore not especially "sick", so there's not a whole lot of things to do.

Procedures accomplished:

- Med adminstration
- Charting
- Head to Toe assessments
- Pain assessments
- Safety checks
- Bed baths
- Linen changes
- Physical therapy assistance

Procedures witnessed:
- Fellow student put in a foley catheter
- Assessment on a patient that appeared to have possibly had a stroke.

Care Plans:

They're still annoying but they seemed easier this time. I knew what was expected of me and it seemed easier to express my thoughts. It also helped that my instructor didn't want pages and pages of care plans. Short and sweet is much easier.

OR observation:

I got to do a day of OR observation this 8 weeks which was fun. I've observed in an OR before but I got to see a craniotomy this time which was really neat. I like being in the OR but I don't think that I'd want to be a nurse in the OR, honestly they don't get to do very much. Being a scrub nurse might be fun, but both times I've observed in the OR there have been surgical techs instead of scrub nurses. Being a circulating nurse is just kinda boring to me. I was amazed at how fast the nurse put the patient's foley in. It was amazing!


1 comment:

  1. Your blog is brilliant! I really like it and getting addicted. I'm writing a blog myself about the life of a student nurse.. check it out :)

    ReplyDelete